We celebrated Andrew’s little sister’s sweet sixteenth birthday on Sunday. I baked her a banana and white chocolate cake with cream cheese icing, which is one of my personal favourites.
I wanted to share the recipe with you, it is Canadian (from Food Network
), therefore everything is measured in ‘cups’; 1 cup equals 250ml if that helps! I personally just bought cup measures from Asda a couple of years ago, so just use these.
½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
7/10 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 ½ cup pastry flour
2 ½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp salt
1 ½ cup mashed banana
1 cup white chocolate, chopped, plus some for garnish
Cream Cheese Icing
1 lb. (2 pkg) cream cheese, room temperature
6 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup icing sugar, sifted
4 Tbsp sour cream
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease and flour 2 9-inch cake pans.
2. Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla extract.
3. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Add to creamed mixture alternately with bananas.
4. Fold in chopped white chocolate. Scrape batter into pans and spread evenly.
5. Bake for 30 minutes until a tester inserted in the centre of the cakes comes out clean. (mine needed an extra 5 and I have a fan oven!)
6. Allow to cool 10 minutes in the pans, then turn out onto a plate.
Cream Cheese Icing
1. Beat cream cheese until smooth. Beat in butter.
2. Reduce speed and add icing sugar, and beat until smooth. Stir in sour cream.
Assemble your cakes using the icing between layers. If you choose to use a cake base like I did, spread some jam on the base, and stick the cake to it.
To decorate I spooned on the icing and spread it with a spatula, it isn’t the tidiest looking cake; the icing is quite runny. I usually just add some white chocolate curls on the top of the cake, but as it was a birthday cake I added silver balls and white chocolate stars.
I always get amazing compliments when I make this cake so I’d definitely recommend it! Let me know if you decide to make it, I recommend the recipe for the cream cheese icing for any other cake too, it is incredible!